Duluth employers take note – the Earned Sick and Safe Time (ESST) Ordinance has been amended, and the revisions take effect August 19, 2021. What’s new, you ask? Here’s the good stuff:
- ESST may be used for “Lost work hours due to closure of employee’s place of employment for public health reasons” (read: COVID).
- All new employees must be given a copy of the ESST policy (or the substantially equivalent paid leave policy that encompasses ESST leave).
- The ESST policy must be included in the Employee Handbook (if you have a handbook – which you should!).
- If there is a violation found, employers may be ordered to notify employees in writing.
- Appeals of findings are via the city’s administrative hearing process.
That’s all folks!